Many Australian home owners prefer to have split level homes because they are space-savers and usually have large carports, but not all homeowners are able to spice these garages up. In other words, some garages are bland, with tons of floor space that can still be utilized. It is completely understandable if not many vehicle owners are able to tinker with their cars regularly, but for those who do, it is extremely important that they have enough tools and equipment stored inside the garage. Indeed, the garage is not just a place to park the car; it is also an area that can be used a workshop for do-it-yourself builds or as a work area for vehicle maintenance.
If you are one of those homeowners who like to get their hands dirty when dealing with their cars, you need to make sure that your garage is a place where you can work efficiently and easier. According to expert home builders Sydney, depending on the size of the inside of your garage, it is important that you maximize every space in it, but not to the point that you end up cluttering it. The point is for you to have a car maintenance shop at the comfort of your own home, and a great way to make it happen is to have the following must-haves for your garage:
- Ample lighting source. When working inside your garage, it is extremely important that you have adequate lighting. Fluorescent lighting is much preferred, either mounted on the ceiling or hanging from it. Apart from the said fixture, you can invest on a portable work light that can be moved around, especially if you are working underneath or beside the vehicle.
- Car lift. You can’t possibly do much needed car repairs or maintenance if you are unable to check underneath your vehicle. This is where the car lift could be a great investment for your garage. If you want to be convenient, you could go for a hydraulic jack because it is easy to store when not in use. Alternatively, you could go for a two-post lift, especially if your garage has a high ceiling.
- Garage flooring. Your garage’s concrete floor is already great as it is, but you may want to upgrade it to something that would not only make for a great design, but provide protection for any spills and objects dropped from a certain height. Typically, a concrete floor with an epoxy coating finish is preferred because it helps you protect your floor from grease or dirt that could leave permanent stain marks. However, you can invest on customized tiles, which are often durable.
- Workbench. It is a must-have in every garage, not just for car maintenance but for other do-it-yourself builds. Of course, when the time comes you need to make repairs or perform carpentry work, it is important that you have a workbench where you can place all your tools and some small equipment. You can either build one yourself or purchase a foldable one, as long as it does not take up much space in your garage.
- Movable tool chest. If you want order instead of doing work amidst a chaotic workbench, you may want to store all of your handheld garage tools in a tool chest. This is especially needed if you add up on your tools collection
These are just some of the many essentials that you need to include in setting up your car maintenance garage in your split level home. Home builders Sydney say that making the most out of your garage space is important, and that can be achieved by focusing on getting these must-haves.